I finally got to see my grandmother before she took her medicine that helps her sleep. It was Tuesday and a good day for her. My great aunt and uncle (Ruth and Raymond) stopped in. They are from Montana. It has been a while since they last saw her so they were surprised by her state. About a month ago she was in the hospital for what turned out to be a urinary tack infection. This is the most common reason Alzheimer’s patients are admitted in to the hospital. While she was there they took her off of her meds that help with her memory. They did this because it interferes with her spastic colon (she has had this for a long time). At this point we just want her to be comfortable. When I walked into the room the other day her face lit up and she smiled at me. I know she knew who I was. She knew who Ruth and Raymond were too. At one point she said both their names. But whether she says my name or not I know she knows me. Her husband keeps pushing her “What’s her name?” “What’s his name?” It turns out that is the not only annoying, it’s wrong to do that with someone that has Alzheimer’s. You aren’t supposed to correct them either.
Raymond said “She is the last person I ever thought would be like this”. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve thought that. She was so sharp and loved crossword puzzles and reading books. It makes seeing her go through this that much harder. Not long ago it made her mad when she couldn’t think of someone’s name. Now it doesn’t seem to bother her. She mumbles most of the time now, but I was getting ready to leave the other night and she said “Come here. I gotta tell you something.” I went over to her to hear what she had to say, but she started mumbling. I guess we will never know what she intended to say.
4 comments:
I think maybe she wanted to tell you how much she loved you.
Oh, Jess. I know this is very difficult. But I'm glad you are confident in her recognition -- I think that must mean a great deal to her. She's a fortunate woman indeed to have you as her granddaughter and I know you have lots of joyful memories of her when she was more alert. Keep those at the forefront, for they will be with you forever.
This is the way Tim was when he was mostly unconscious. He asked me yesterday while we were at coffee whether or not I knew who he was. I said yes! I think you did, as you seemed to settle and look happier and just easier when I would get there. Your body was taken care of by strangers, but they were not touching the real you!
I think she knows who you are even if she can't say it. She knows you are important to her! What else can we really want? Bless you dear heart!
Very tough stuff. I don't know how families get through this.
Awh,,I agree with Jeanie. I think she was trying to say how much she Loves you too!
Its still inside her head and heart and don't ever forget it.
Big Hugs for my Girlie!!!
xoxooxoxoxooxox
Post a Comment