Tuesday, November 25, 2008

A Lot and Then Some

I have so much to tell that I haven’t taken the time to write out here lately so let me get started…

My brother, Jay, had the opportunity to preach from the pulpit in church recently. To be more specific the Woodbine Cumberland Presbyterian Church, also known as Pastor Ray’s church.

Isn’t it funny how a turn of events can happen that links to another and another? Some people call it a coincidence. Others call it fate. Call it what you will… My mom’s favorite song in the whole world is Amazing Grace. She used to sing it to us to help us sleep, when we were sick, or just because. If she wasn’t singing it she was humming it. When I received my program I glanced through and saw Amazing Grace on the list. My breath caught in my throat. Then I thought Jay probably requested it. He didn’t in fact it caught him as off guard as it did me. When he got up to speak he got choked up when he mentioned it.

Jay quoted something Hailey (Jay’s oldest) told him when he found out he would be preaching that day. It is one of my favorite things Hailey has said. If you knew Hailey you would know how impressive that is. She is always saying something great. When she found out she said “Dad, if people didn’t know you, they wouldn’t believe a mechanic could preach”. She is exactly right. “If they didn’t know him” they may not believe it, but it’s true and he was, of course, Amazing. Here is the mechanic at work.



My dad left to go hunting Friday afternoon. He normally is the one to feed the horses. When he is away I fill in. When I got to my parent’s house Friday evening I say Jack and said hi, but Jack’s cat Runt wasn’t there to greet me. I went down to the barn and fed the horses, fed the barn cats, then went to feed Jack. Jack and Runt eat together. Like I said, that is his cat. She was officially MIA.

Saturday morning I get to the house and still no Runt. I feed the horses and still no Runt. After hollering for her and calling her she still did not come. She never disappears so my mind begins to think the worst. Coyote.

Saturday evening I get to the barn and go about my business without her crying for me to pet her for the 3rd time in a row. After everyone is fed and happy I leave the barn and walk past the shop (my dad’s big garage he works out of) and I hear a quiet little meow. “Runt?” and she meows back. “Runt!?” I exclaimed again as if I expected her to say “It’s me! I’m still here! I’m alive!” Now comes the tricky part. Getting a key and getting past the alarm before the cops come out to take me away for rescuing my dad’s dog’s cat. I got her out with the magic key and password and stayed with her until she had her fill of love and cat food after she got to say hello to her beloved dog. She stopped eating after a bit and wanted me to pet her, after all it had been over a day since her last human contact.

Saturday morning since Runt wasn’t around to steal all of my attention that wasn’t focused on the horses I had a wild cat hang out with me. Yup, you heard me a wild cat. After a few minutes I found out what you get for trying to pet a wild cat.



You get a goofy smile! She isn't much of a wild cat anymore. She figured out she likes to be petted. She followed me around at the barn for 2 days.

Thats all for now!

2 comments:

Beth said...

Awh,,thats a great post Jess!!! Thats cool that your brother got up and preached too. I bet you did get choked up when you heard that song,,thats one of my favorites too.
Awhhhh,,,Runt,,sweet little Runt. Glad she wasn't a coyote snack and was just MIA. I know she was glad someone cared enough to miss her.
Love the goofy smile. See you in a few.
xoxooxoxoxoxoxo

Jeanie said...

Wow -- what a terrific post! You HAVE had a lot happen to you. I'm so awfully glad Runt is back, full and happy. I would have simply been frantic.

I love Amazing Grace, too. It was one of mom's favorites. Everything sounds like it was perfect -- happy endings all the way around.

You have a beautiful Thanksgiving. I'll try to check blogs before I leave for vacation, but after December 1, I might not be able to spend much (if any) time online. I'm pre-loading posts, though -- so keep stopping by!

Hugs and happy Turkey Day!