Friday, August 1, 2008

I'm Alive!

And have both my legs!

Yesterday morning I went to visit one of my schools. I had noticed before (only had it for a few weeks) that the area has a lot of stray dogs. This is no big deal because I love dogs! Over half of the school is empty due the small numbers of students than was originally meant for this historic school. It is now one of the state schools for No Child Left Behind. The principal had told me the correct door to use about 2 weeks ago, so this is not fresh on my mind at this point. The parking lot was empty, but the staff park in the back so I wasn't that concerned.

I went up to the door he said to use and noticed there were 4 dogs sitting against the building on down. One that apparently thinks he owns the place since he was barking at me. When he had jumped up to let me know I was trespassing I realized it was a Pit Bull. Ok I'm sure there are many people that can say it isn't the breed that is bad it is the people that raise it. I am beyond this now as my brother was attacked by his pet Boxer who had never shown signs of aggression, until he turned on him over a kitten. Add this to my fear and hatred of Pit Bulls as one tried to attack me and my horse and you have one upset person trying unsuccessfully to get inside a building and my car is way on the other side of the block. But I am doing my best to control this fear. I know that if he knows I am scared of him it will make things worse. No one answers the door I thought he said to use. So I project confidence and walk on down the side walk to what was originally meant to be the main entrance when the place was built about 80 years ago

As I walk past him I don't look him in my eye because that would make things worse. It is already worse because as I do he starts to come towards me. The whole time I'm thinking and my car is on the OTHER side of the block! The moment I pass his pack he immediately starts running in almost a circle to get directly behind me! I quickly turned and he stopped and backed off some. To make matters worse, no one answers the other door and I have to walk back the other way! Thankfully since I had spun around he decided he would bark from closer to his pack. When I get to my car I can't find the school's phone number because I left my purse at home. I had made the appointment to see them a week ago and apparently they forgot because there was no one there. Next time I will email/call the day before and have there number and call them from the car. Not to mention I will definitely let them know that they have some crazy stray dogs calling the school home! I am sorry for the run on sentences it is early and I need to get ready for work.

Thursday over all was a day from you know where. Nothing went right except that the dog didn't physically attack me. Glad today is Friday even if I do end up having to work on the weekend.

Hope everyone has a great weekend.

3 comments:

Beth said...

I know your heart was pumping 100 miles a hour! That would have been terrifying and knowing no one was around to help you out would have been even scarier. I hate Pit Bulls, I have had too many people tell me how sweet they are,,but I have even the sweetest ones turn very aggressive. God was with you yesterday Ms. Jess. And glad today is friday too.
xoxooxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

Mary Timme said...

I've heard the same things everyone has, I imagine. I don't like the breed either, nor any breed that was bred to attack if they are the least bit out of the norm. Inbreeding or line breeding as breeders prefer to call it is not a smart thing for most people to engage in, I think, and a detrement to most breeds anyway.

Back in high school I wrote a short story about a dog attack that turned out okay. When it was published while I was in college I had the editor ask me what my symbolism meant. I thought, "Its about dogs that didn't attack when it looked eminent. What symbolism do you see? I just wrote a mood piece." Funny what goes through your mind when stuff like this happens, isn't it.

I'm so glad you are safe.

Jeanie said...

Yikes! Seriously scary. I've had the same thing with pits as you -- and those who have them love them, but boy, they concern me. I'm awfully glad you're OK.