It all depends on how you look at it! Before I tell you about that I have to tell you this... This is the second night in a row that my in-laws have spent the night at their house and I think we are all happy campers! I can't believe how quite my house is. This week is definitely better than last!
Now about the uh oh! Last time I went to the grocery I was in a hurry, didn't want to be there in the first place (this one is true every trip!), and I had screaming kids and weird people all around me. My last item to pick up was 2 small cans of green peppers, which I forgot about earlier. I went back through the store up the international aisle and grabbed the first cans of green peppers I saw. Didn't even notice my mistake while putting up groceries as I was talking on the phone with my mom about work. I need these for a Mexican Chicken Casserole recipe I got from a friend and she got it off CookingLight.com. I go to make the dish tonight. I open up the can and think "Wow those smell awesome! Oh wait these don't look like green peppers! Ack! They are jalapenos!" To improvise I only had Monterrey jack cheese with jalapenos so I put 2% cheddar instead. For the last 2 times I have not used the corn tortillas. (Corn taste better than flour in this I promise!) This is the only reason I use those tortillas which means why by a pack of 50 when you only use a few a month? Last time it was good. We really didn't even miss them and I know we didn't miss the added calories!
Between the jalapeno peppers and different enchilada sauce it was definitely a nose running experience, but then again we like it hot!
This recipe is dear to my heart as it is one of my first few dishes that didn't come out of a box, have powdered "sauce" with it, and have "helper" written across the front. My husband should have sent a personal thank you note to my friend for introducing me to this recipe and site.
Here is the recipe:
Mexican Chicken Casserole
1 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
2 (4.5-ounce) cans chopped green chiles, divided
1 3/4 pounds skinned, boned chicken breasts
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup evaporated skim milk
1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
1/4 cup (2 ounces) tub-style light cream cheese
1 (10-ounce) can enchilada sauce
12 (6-inch) corn tortillas
Cooking spray
1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded reduced-fat extra-sharp cheddar cheese
1 ounce tortilla chips, crushed (about 6 chips)
Combine broth and 1 can of chiles in a large skillet; bring to a boil. Add chicken; reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes or until chicken is done, turning chicken once. Remove chicken from cooking liquid, reserving cooking liquid; cool chicken. Shred meat with two forks, and set aside.
Preheat oven to 350°.
Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 can of chiles and onion; sauté 3 minutes or until soft. Add reserved cooking liquid, milk, Monterey Jack, cream cheese, and enchilada sauce; stir well. Stir in shredded chicken; cook 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
Place 4 tortillas in the bottom of a 2-quart casserole coated with cooking spray. Spoon 2 cups chicken mixture over tortillas. Repeat layers twice, ending with chicken mixture. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese and chips. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 1 cup)
CALORIES 369 (28% from fat); FAT 11.4g (sat 5g,mono 3.8g,poly 1.4g); PROTEIN 35.6g; CHOLESTEROL 79mg; CALCIUM 360mg; SODIUM 479mg; FIBER 3g; IRON 2.4mg; CARBOHYDRATE 31.3g
2 comments:
That sounds fabulous. I love spicy foods and it seems pretty easy, too. Consider me a convert to your new recipe! Thanks!
Yummy on the recipe and some times mistakes make recipes even better! So glad you have a nice quiet house now and can be newlyweds again!
xooxoxoxooxoxo
Post a Comment