My grandmother has Alzheimer's (she is only 74). This has been so hard on all of us as she had always been such an intelligent quick witted character. She loved to read and play crossword puzzles. She hasn't read in quite some time now and forget the crossword puzzles. It has moved quickly over the past year. Before then things were so much easier. We could have a conversation with her granted she may ask the same question a few minutes later, but I could do that. I could pretend I never said that to her and just repeat my answer, but this? I don't know how to handle this. I don't know how to handle helping her to bed or in the door or out of her chair. I don't know how to handle her not being able to do what she wants or be able to remember simple words like "necklace". On the bright side she remembered that I had on a necklace last time I saw her and she was looking for it.
Last year at my wedding she told my mother "I know there are people here that I should know, but..." She couldn't place them. Where she knew them or how she knew them. So maybe she does know to some extent that nothing will ever be the same again. Every case is different from what I have been told. The doctor said there are 4 types of Alzheimer's and she has the kind that has mini stokes. Each one makes her set back. For those of you that don't have experience with Alzheimer patients the only way I can explain it is that they leave their body and sometimes they come back out of the blue and you think "There they are. That is the person I know." But they just go back to their confused state afterwards.
Because her mind is failing her I would like to document fun things she has said thus far. I will continue posting these as they happen.
The say before she went into to hospital for what we now know was a bladder infection. I was talking about her cold her hands were. She had been out of it since I got there. She was either almost asleep or confused then she woke up and looked at me and mumbled something. She does this more and more as she forgets what words to say. So I told her "Cold hands, warm heart" and she pipes up and says "dirty feet and no sweetheart!" loud and clear. I look over at my dad and we laughed together and so did she.
(From my dad) Her husband (she remarried after my grandfather passed away) had some beans planted in pots and someone was talking to him about how big they were getting and she pipes up and says "Yea, those will save on the grocery bill!"
Its these moments that remind us who she is Its these moments help get us from one bad day to another until she comes back to us a few minutes and reminds us she is still there.
My mom found this picture of my grandmother and I. It was about 10 years ago.
2 comments:
OH,,whew,,this is a very wonderful post but also a hard one. I went through some of this with my Mom when she was so out of it on the pain meds, but I knew she could come back. I am so sorry your going through this. But I Love how your documenting the funny things. I think you should keep doing that and keep writing about it to help us all when we do have to go through it. But most of all to help you deal with it. And I am here if you need to talk,,call me any time, Missy!
Big Hugs!!!!!
xoxoxooxoxoxoxoxoxooxox
Well, first of all, this is one of the most powerful posts I've read and I'm so very glad you are recounting your stories and memories now, while they are fresh. I know this must be terribly difficult for you. I hope that writing about it will help heal your breaking heart.
And, since I'm in catch-up mode, this is the first time I've seen your orange-kitty banner. I love it! (Gee, wonder why!)
Hugs and hang in there. (By the way, the photo of you and your grandma is precious.)
Post a Comment