Sunday, April 27, 2008

Name That Tree...

Two years ago we moved in to our house. There were 2 very small trees planted along the drive way. When we moved in they looked like pitiful sticks and almost removed them to put something else in. Last year was tough on all plants and trees. We had a very late and heavy frost then an extreme drought so our trees never looked good last year. That being said this is the first year we have been able to appreciate them er... one anyway. Looks like last year killed one of them. The other is thriving and beautiful. I never asked the previous home owner what they are. Yesterday I noticed that some of the leaves turned reddish since these were taken (you can see it a little in the last picture). I said all that to ask this... What is it? (Files are huge so feel free to enlarge them just click on the picture, takes you to Webshots.com, then click on the magnifying glass below the picture to get the full size.)

Here are the blooms.
IMG_0214
IMG_0217

The tree.
IMG_0215

The leaves.
IMG_0216

This is what I found by googling...
"Kwanzan Cherry is the showiest of all Japanese trees. It's most awesome feature is its bundles of large double pink blossoms. The blossoms on this tree last longer than those of other flowering cherries.

Kwanzan cherry tree is in the United States, but are primarily found in Japan. This is one of the Washington basin cherry trees given to the United States by Japan years ago for planting at our nation?s capital.

This tree blooms in mid to late April. Unlike other ornamental cherry trees, the leaves of the Kwanzan cherry begin to grow while the tree is still in bloom. It is also the hardiest ornamental cherry tree and its bark is somewhat glossy."

2 comments:

JessInFocus said...

Thanks to my friend... found out it is a Kwanzan Cherry Tree. Thank you!

Beth said...

Glad you found out,,I would have never guessed a Cherry tree but was going to google it too.
Boring here today,,ugh,,wish I was home.
See you tomorrow?
xooxoxoxooxoxoxo